If you are missing teeth then you are far from alone. The American Dental Association states that the average adult American between the ages of 20 and 64 have three or more missing teeth. This generally occurs because of gum disease, trauma, or tooth decay. If you have missing teeth then you’re likely aware of the consequences to your oral health. You may be surprised to learn of some further problems that missing teeth can bring. Perhaps they will be reasons for you to consider cosmetic dentistry including dental implants. You can read about these problems here.
Problems With Missing Teeth
As mentioned before, you may be missing teeth because of trauma, gum disease, or decay. So what problems could you face if this has happened to you?
- Discomfort Chewing – All of your teeth have a purpose. You have teeth for biting, tearing, and for chewing. When you are missing just one tooth it can be difficult to carry out all these actions. When crispy food enters between the teeth it can scratch the gums and cause pain. This may cause you to avoid certain foods required for a healthy diet.
- Dental shifting – Each tooth supports the other teeth. A missing tooth can create space and the remaining teeth can spread towards the gap. This movement can alter the natural bite alignment. If the teeth move together then flossing can become more difficult because the space between teeth is reduced. Without proper flossing, you risk developing gum disease which often results in further tooth loss.
- Speech Issues – Your teeth help make the sounds you make in speech. Missing teeth may change the way you make those sounds and create problems in your speech.
- Bone Loss – Using your teeth is like exercise for your jaw bone. When we’re missing a tooth, the area of the jaw no longer receives stimulation and bone loss occurs.
- Aged Looks- Your appearance is formed in part due to the structure of your teeth. Missing teeth can cause areas of your skin to sag, affect your smile thereby creating an aging look.
- Mental Health Problems – Studies have shown that tooth loss is associated with some mental health issues such as depression and anxiety.
- Lower Self Esteem – A similar study noted that nearly 25% of people with missing teeth are too ashamed to smile.
- Lower Success in Job Interviews – During the same study the researchers found that over 25% of those interviewed felt that they did not succeed in a past job interview because of their missing teeth.
How To Fix Your Missing Teeth Problems
At Vallejo Oral Surgery, we want to help you smile again. So if you have missing teeth due to decay, trauma, or gum disease then contact us about dental implants. We recommend them as the best choice to replace your teeth. You can enjoy the flexibility of replacing just one tooth with a dental implant or all of them with hybrid implants (also known as 4 in 1 implants).
Dental implants are more than just cosmetic dentistry. They offer great functional benefits too. In other words, they not only look like natural teeth helping to return your smile but they also function like them, so that you can continue to enjoy the same benefits as when you had your original teeth. You could be surprised to find out how many health advantages they have over other tooth replacement options.
Contact us to book an appointment at Vallejo Oral Surgery to see if dental implants are right for you. The team members will be happy to talk with you. Located conveniently off Interstate 80 in Vallejo, California, Vallejo Oral Surgery provides easy access to all those in the San Francisco area.